Services make it to Ranji quarters from Group C
New Delhi: Despite a disappointing batting performance in the second innings, Services are through to the quarterfinals of the Ranji Trophy as it is highly unlikely that any team in group C would cross their 26-point barrier.
Services were sitting comfortable at the top of the Group C table, followed by Andhra (21), Assam (20), Kerela (18) and Jharkhand (18) before the start of the ongoing round of matches.
While Andhra are still on course for a berth, with Assam conceding a first innings lead to Goa today, the road to the quarters is clear for Services as it would take more than a miracle to topple them.
Kerela and Jharkhand are not in the equation as even if they win outrightly, they won`t be able to cross Services` 26 point barrier.
In the match, Services, who had notched up a 65-run first innings lead over Jharkhand yesterday, posted 152 runs in their second essay today to set Jharkhand 218 to win, with one day to go.
At the draw of stumps, Jharkhand were 35 for no loss with Akash Verma (15) and Rameez Nemat (20) on the crease at the Palam A Ground in Model Sports Complex here.
Resuming their second innings at 32 for 2, Services found the going tough and lost wickets at regular intervals but tailender Avishek Sinha came up with a cameo of 47 runs in 60 balls to help his team cross the 150-mark. Sinha hit six fours in his innings.
For Jharkhand, Ajay Yadav (6/43) and Shahbaz Nadeem (4/64) shared the 10 wickets.
Services: 185 & 152 all out (Avishek Sinha 47; Ajay Yadav 6/43)
Jharkhand: 120 & 35 for no loss in 11 overs (R Nemat 20; S Yadav 0/18).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?