Services reach 290/6 against HP on Day 1 in Ranji Trophy
Nadaun: Services produced an impressive batting display to reach 290 for six against hosts Himachal Pradesh at stumps on the opening day of their Group C Ranji Trophy match, here on Friday.
Services clicked as a batting unit with only Soumya Swain (4) failing to contribute much after they were put into bat at the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Stadium.
Pratik Desai (61) and skipper Soomik Chatarjee (54) gave their team a flying start adding 102 runs for the opening-wicket partnership as the hosts` bowlers failed to provide any breakthrough in the morning session.
Chaterjee should consider himself unlucky as he fell victim to a run-out by Gurvinder Singh after taking his team past 100-run mark.
Pratik could not convert the good start into a big score as he was caught by Gurvinder off pacer Rishi Dhawan. He struck nine fours and a six in his 131-ball stay at the crease.
Ansuhl Gupta (54) then combined well with Yashpal Singh (24) and stitched a 62-run third-wicket stand before the latter was caught by wicketkeeper Aatish Bhalaik off Mohinderraj Sharma.
Leg-spinner Prashant Chopra brought his team back into contention with two quick strikes, accounting for Swain and Gupta, but Rajat Paliwal (52) struck a fluent half-century to deny any further success to the hosts.
Paliwal was dismissed in the penultimate over of the day by Dhawan.
For Himachal, Dhawan (2/70) and Chopra (2/26) picked up two wickets apiece.
At stumps, Muzzaffaruddin Khalid (4) and skipper Sarabjit Singh (15) were at the crease.
Services 1st innings: 290 for 6 in 90 overs (Pratik Desai 61, Soomik Chatarjee 54; Prashant Chopra 2/26).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy