Services take big 1st innings lead courtesy Rajat`s ton
Indore: Young right-hander Rajat Paliwal will hit the fourth and most important first-class century in his short career as it helped Services take a sizeable 129-run first innings lead against the formidable Uttar Pradesh in the Ranji Trophy quarter-final on Monday.
The 21-year-old Paliwal, who had blisters on his big toe hammered the likes of India international Piyush Chawla as he struck 112 to help Services reach a score of 263 in reply to UP`s paltry first innings score of 134.
The favourites however did a shade better in the second innings as they were 138 for four at stumps thereby taking a slender lead of nine runs.
Pacer Suraj Yadav (4/33) got all the wickets which included scalps of seasoned pros Tanmay Srivastava (55), Mohammed Kaif (33) and Parvinder Singh (0). Arish Alam (33 batting) needs to play a big innings if UP plans to make a match of it.
The day belonged to Paliwal who started from his overnight score of 36 and carried on gamely during his 133-ball-knock which included 16 boundaries and two huge sixes.
Apart from his 97-run sixth wicket stand with veteran keeper Sarabjit Singh (40, 5x4), the two other significant partnerships were for the seventh and eighth wicket which yielded 34 and 33 runs respectively. The first one was between Paliwal and Nishan Singh (4) and the second one between the centurion and Shadab Nazar (13).
When Paliwal was finally bowled by a Ankit Rajpoot yorker, he had more than done his job.
With skipper Soumik Chatterjee injured, he still came out to bat but lasted only a couple of deliveries but Services had by then done what they could have to the best of their abilities.
Brief Scores: UP 134 & 138/4 (Tanmay Srivastava 55, Mohd Kaif 33, Suraj Yadav 4/33). Services 263 (Rajat Paliwal 112, Sarabjit Singh 40).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor