Smit, Gohel put Gujarat in a comfortable position
Valsad: Young Smit Patel scored his maiden first-class century while Samit Gohel scored a patient 85 to take Gujarat to a comfortable position against Hyderabad after the opening day`s play in their Ranji Trophy Group A match here on Saturday.
Gujarat were comfortably placed at 254 for two at stumps and are well on course to post a big first innings total at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium.
Hyderabad`s decision to field first backfired as Smit and Gohel raised 163 runs for the opening stand.
In the process, Smit notched up his maiden first-class ton, an impressive 114 off 240 balls which was laced with 15 hits to the fence.
Gohel, playing only in his second first-class match, was not far behind as he scored his 85 off 186 balls during which he struck 14 boundaries.
It took Hyderabad bowlers 55 overs to break the century partnership between Smit and Gohel when Anwar Ahmed induced an edge from Gohel which was gleefully collected by Abhinav Kumar behind the stumps.
Gohel`s dismissal hardly had any affect on Smit who went about his business in style and stitched another important partnership -- this time 87 runs for the first wicket with Bhargav Merai -- to take Gujarat forward.
Smit fell just 4.1 overs before the close of play. He edged a Lalit Mohan delivery to wicket-keeper Abhinav while trying to cut the left-arm spinner.
Merai was batting on 45 at the draw of stumps and giving him company at the other end was Kushang Patel (2).
Gujarat: 254 for two in 90 overs (Smit Patel 114, Samit Gohel 85; Anwar Ahmed 1/18).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...