Tendulkar to skip Mumbai`s Ranji match against Gujarat
Mumbai: Sachin Tendulkar, who recently retired from one-day cricket, will not play in Mumbai`s last Ranji Trophy league game against Gujarat but has made himself available for the knock-out stage if the team reaches the quarter-finals.
Mumbai Cricket Association joint secretary Nitin Dalal said that Tendulkar will not be able to play in the match which begins on Saturday at Dr DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai as he is now holidaying in Northern India with his family.
"I asked him (Tendulkar) if he was available but he said since he is on a break, he won`t be able to play (the Gujarat game). But he has made himself available for the knockouts," Dalal said.
Mumbai are placed third in the Group A points table, tied on 20 points with Madhya Pradesh. They will ideally be looking for a win against Gujarat or will have to at least secure a first-innings lead in order to be among the top three teams that will progress to the last eight from the group.
Punjab are at the top of the group with 32 points, but five teams are in contention for the remaining two slots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report