UP beat Odisha, qualify for quarters as Group B toppers
Cuttack: Uttar Pradesh came up with yet another superb bowling show by bundling out Odisha for just 101 in their second innings to score a 43-run win over the home side on the third and penultimate day of their Ranji Trophy Group B match here on Monday.
Chasing 145 for a win, Odisha needed 92 more runs today but it took Uttar Pradesh just 17.2 overs to dismiss the remaining six batsmen of the visiting side and end the match inside seven sessions.
Resuming at 53 for four, Odisha could add just 48 runs before they were all out for 101 in the morning session on a pace-friendly pitch at the Barabati Stadium.
Paceman Imtiaz Ahmed completed his first 10-wicket haul in first-class cricket with figures of 5/29 in Odisha`s second innings. Govind Podder resisted with a 36 -- the highest scorer for Odisha in second essay and second-highest in the match, but Uttar Pradesh were too good for the home side.
Only two other Odisha batsmen -- Niranjan Behera (15) and Lagnajit Samal (13) -- could reach double-digit figures.
With Monday`s win, Uttar Pradesh ended on the top of Group B with 33 points -- from four wins and four draws -- thus ensuring a meeting with a Group C team in the quarter-final.
Odisha, who had to take the gamble of producing a green pitch against the best attack in the country, were knocked out of the tournament as they needed to win the match to stay in the hunt for a place in knock-out stage.
Uttar Pradesh: 160 and 111
Odisha: 127 and 101 all out in 37.2 overs (Govind Podder 36; Imtiaz Ahmed 5/29).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'