Vidarbha get three points against Tamil Nadu
Nagpur: Vidarbha earned three valuable points thanks to the significant contribution made by their lower middle-order as they went past Tamil Nadu`s first innings score on the final day of their Ranji Trophy group B match which ended in a dull draw.
Tamil Nadu had to remain content with just one point.
Resuming the day on 214 for 2, overnight batsman Shalabh Shrivastava (28) was dismissed early. Former Indian batsman Hemang Badani failed to open his account and was dismissed by pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji.
Balaji too accounted for opener Faiz Fazal`s wicket who scored 143 runs, including 21 boundaries in his almost nine-hour long innings.
He was dismissed with the score reading 282 for five, still 161 runs behind in reply to Tamil Nadu`s score of 443.
Just when it seemed that Vidarbha would fall short of Tamil Nadu`s first innings total, skipper Ranjit Paradkar (62) and young batsman Gaurav Upadhyaya (30) steadied the ship for the hosts.
Paradkar struck eight fours in his half century. Srikant Wagh, who came in at No 8 scored a quick-fire 87 ball 83 laced with 10 boundaries and three sixes.
Debutant Sumit Ruikar knock of 67 runs in just 71 deliveries including four boundaries and a six. He remained unbeaten along with Amol Jungade (28) when the match ended.
For Tamil Nadu, Lakshmipathy Balaji, Vijay Shankar and R Aushik Srinivas managed to get two wickets each.
Tamil Nadu first innings: 449 for eight decl
Vidarbha first innings: 566 for eight in 181 overs (Faiz Fazal 143, Shrikant Wagh 83; Vijay Shankar 2/52)
Result: Match drawn.
Points: Vidarbha 3, Tamil Nadu 1.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!