Vinay 7-wkt haul takes Karnataka close to victory
Bangalore: Karnataka closed in on an outright victory against Orissa after Vinay Kumar ripped through the opposition batting line-up with a seven-wicket haul on the third and penultimate day of their Group B Ranji Trophy match on Monday.
Karnataka took a paltry 11 runs first innings lead after scoring 213 and then reduced Orissa to 255, giving the home side a target of 245 to win.
At close of third day`s play, Karnataka were 43 for one, needing another 202 runs with nine wickets in hand to register their first outright victory of the current season.
Opener Robin Uthappa and Satish Ganesh were unbeaten on 25 and five respectively.
K B Pawan lost his wicket to Alok Mangaraj for 12.
Vinay emerged as the wrecker-in-chief with figures of seven for 58, while Akshay and Stuart Binny claiming two and a wicket each to shoot out the vistors in 74 overs.
Biplab Samantray top-scored for Orissa with a steady 138-ball 86, which was adorned with 13 fours. Other notable contributors for the visitors were Alok Sahoo (37) and Subhrajit Sahoo (48).
For a brief period, Samantray and Sahoo gave a scare to the home side with a solid 100-run partnership.
Earlier, Orissa began at their overnight score of 30 for loss of two wickets and soon they were rattled by the pace of Vinay who hardly gave any chance for the batsmen to find their feet. The likes of Alok Sahoo (37) and Govind Podder (16) could not step up the fight.
Akshay gave able to support to Vinay at the other end and packed off Nataraj Behera to the hut for 17, leaving Orissa tottering at 142 for five at lunch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India