Water seeps into Palam pitch as hailstorm blows away covers
New Delhi: The heavy downpour last night along with a hailstorm blew away the pitch cover at the Airforce Ground in Palam, leaving the 22-yard strip on which the Ranji Trophy semi-final between Mumbai and Services is being played, wet.
The groundsmen realised in the morning that a lot of rainwater had seeped into the pitch. With steady downpour continuing throughout the day, even restoring the covers back has been of little help.
"There were three layers of pitch cover on the main strip and the covers were sufficiently nailed. But the ferocity of the hailstorm was such that we could do precious little. Even the match referee (B Kalyansundaram) sympathised with us. There was little that we could have done," a senior Services office-bearer said.
The third day`s play was called off due to the downpour.
The pitch didn`t have a chance of drying up as there was no sunshine today, but the problem will be as to what`s the extent of dampness and if that can be reduced if there is no rain on Saturday.
"The outfield won`t take much time to dry up as we have supersoppers ready. But about the pitch, it depends how quickly the dampness gets reduced. We are expecting that at least play will resume in the post-lunch session," he added.
The sightscreen, at one end, has also been badly damaged due to yesterday`s hailstorm. Mumbai were 380 for six at stumps on second day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India