We have 80-90 per cent chance of making the quarters: Dahiya
New Delhi: Delhi have a "80 to 90 per cent chance" of qualifying for the Ranji Trophy quarterfinals if they manage to register two outright wins in their next four games, said head coach Vijay Dahiya here today after the hosts earned three points from their drawn game against Tamil Nadu.
"Odisha`s victory against Karnataka and Baroda`s win over Haryana have thrown open Group B. Delhi have 11 points from four matches and third on the table, while Uttar Pradesh are fourth with 10 points but they have played a game less (three). So we have 80 to 90 percent chance of qualifying for the knock-out stage. The race is still wide open," Dahiya told reporters after the match.
Delhi walked away with three points by virtue of their first-innings lead over Tamil Nadu in the Ranji Trophy Group B tie that ended in a draw at Feroze Shah Kotla ground today.
Delhi now play three of their next four games away from home, starting December 1 against Haryana in Lahli.
"We will look to secure a win in Lahli as it has the reputation of producing results. We will be leaving for Lahli either on November 29 in evening or November 30 late morning," he said.
On injured paceman Ashish Nehra who did not play in the match against TN, the coach said, "He is improving every day but we don`t want to take chances with his fitness. He is a kind of bowler who gives his 100 per cent whenever he plays for the team. We will take him along to Lahli but on his selection in the playing eleven, we will take a call later."
Expressing satisfaction with the result in this game, Delhi captain Shikhar Dhawan said there were no regrets that his team had to field for two successive days.
"We had to give ourselves the chance to earn seven points, plus we wanted our bowlers to have bowl in second innings. It`s fine, happy with the team`s performance and three points," he said.
On Delhi`s next game against Haryana, he said, "Lahli wicket has always produced results so we will look for an outright victory."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional