Shivnarine Chanderpaul joins Derbyshire
Derbyshire (England): Veteran West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has signed a two-year contract to play for English county side Derbyshire.
The 38-year-old Guyanese left-hander is expected to be available to represent Derbyshire in all county competitions in 2013.
Chanderpaul`s two-year deal also includes the club having first option to keep him for a third season.
"I`m excited to be joining an ambitious club with a talented young side," Chanderpaul said.
"I was impressed with Karl Krikken`s vision for the team and I am looking forward to linking up with them at the start of the season."
Chanderpaul, who boasts a first-class average of 56.32, has had previous spells in the county game, helping Durham win the County Championship in 2008 and 2009.
He played for Lancashire in 2010 and in 2011 represented Warwickshire, where he made three hundreds and averaged 89.83 in five matches to help the club finish second in Division One.
"We have recruited a world-class player at the peak of his game and I hope this sends a message to our members and supporters that we mean business ahead of the 2013 season," said chairman Chris Grant.
"The fact that Derbyshire are able to attract someone of his calibre is an indication of our ambition and the esteem in which the club is now held in the cricketing world."
Derbyshire will play in Division One this year after being promoted for winning Division Two last year.
Chanderpaul is the number two ranked batsman in Test cricket behind Australian Michael Clarke.
In November, he hit his 26th and 27th Test tons, taking him to 10,696 runs at an average of 51.67 in 146 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report