Shivnarine Chanderpaul joins Derbyshire
Derbyshire (England): Veteran West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has signed a two-year contract to play for English county side Derbyshire.
The 38-year-old Guyanese left-hander is expected to be available to represent Derbyshire in all county competitions in 2013.
Chanderpaul`s two-year deal also includes the club having first option to keep him for a third season.
"I`m excited to be joining an ambitious club with a talented young side," Chanderpaul said.
"I was impressed with Karl Krikken`s vision for the team and I am looking forward to linking up with them at the start of the season."
Chanderpaul, who boasts a first-class average of 56.32, has had previous spells in the county game, helping Durham win the County Championship in 2008 and 2009.
He played for Lancashire in 2010 and in 2011 represented Warwickshire, where he made three hundreds and averaged 89.83 in five matches to help the club finish second in Division One.
"We have recruited a world-class player at the peak of his game and I hope this sends a message to our members and supporters that we mean business ahead of the 2013 season," said chairman Chris Grant.
"The fact that Derbyshire are able to attract someone of his calibre is an indication of our ambition and the esteem in which the club is now held in the cricketing world."
Derbyshire will play in Division One this year after being promoted for winning Division Two last year.
Chanderpaul is the number two ranked batsman in Test cricket behind Australian Michael Clarke.
In November, he hit his 26th and 27th Test tons, taking him to 10,696 runs at an average of 51.67 in 146 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!