Shivnarine Chanderpaul joins Derbyshire
Derbyshire (England): Veteran West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has signed a two-year contract to play for English county side Derbyshire.
The 38-year-old Guyanese left-hander is expected to be available to represent Derbyshire in all county competitions in 2013.
Chanderpaul`s two-year deal also includes the club having first option to keep him for a third season.
"I`m excited to be joining an ambitious club with a talented young side," Chanderpaul said.
"I was impressed with Karl Krikken`s vision for the team and I am looking forward to linking up with them at the start of the season."
Chanderpaul, who boasts a first-class average of 56.32, has had previous spells in the county game, helping Durham win the County Championship in 2008 and 2009.
He played for Lancashire in 2010 and in 2011 represented Warwickshire, where he made three hundreds and averaged 89.83 in five matches to help the club finish second in Division One.
"We have recruited a world-class player at the peak of his game and I hope this sends a message to our members and supporters that we mean business ahead of the 2013 season," said chairman Chris Grant.
"The fact that Derbyshire are able to attract someone of his calibre is an indication of our ambition and the esteem in which the club is now held in the cricketing world."
Derbyshire will play in Division One this year after being promoted for winning Division Two last year.
Chanderpaul is the number two ranked batsman in Test cricket behind Australian Michael Clarke.
In November, he hit his 26th and 27th Test tons, taking him to 10,696 runs at an average of 51.67 in 146 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray