Gujrat win Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
Indore: Gujarat today clinched the Syed Mushtaq Ali Twenty20 Championship title after registering a thumping six-wicket victory over Punjab in the summit clash.
Electing to bat, Punjab suffered a top-order collapse to be reduced to 20 for four in the sixth over before they recovered a bit to score 122 for eight in their allotted 20 overs at the Holkar Stadium.
Gujarat chased down the target with 13 balls to spare.
Pacer Jasprit Bumrah was the pick of the Gujarat bowlers as he returned with three wickets for just 14 runs from his four overs. Mehul Patel chipped in with two wickets, while Rohit Dahiya and Rakesh Dhurv took wicket apiece.
Amitoze Singh was the top- scorer for Punjab with a 42-ball 49, while wicketkeeper-batsman Chandan Madan contributed with 25 runs.
Chasing a modest target of 123, Gujarat started badly as they lost their wicketkeeper captain Parthiv Patel (1) with the score on two.
Opener Asad Pathan (32) and one-down batsman Niraj Patel (14) put up a 50-run partnership, before they were both dismissed in the eighth over with the team score of 52.
Manprit Juneja (31), who hit a breathtaking unbeaten 108 in their final Super League match against Kerala yesterday, and Abdulahad Malik (31 not out) put up a further 64 runs together, as Gujarat kept abreast with the required run-rate.
Akshar Patel (12 not out) sealed the victory in style with a six as Gujarat reached 128 for four in 17.5 overs.
For Punjab, left-arm spinner Rajwinder Singh grabbed two wickets for 40, while Siddarth Kaul bagged a wicket.
Punjab 122 for 8 in 20 overs (Amitoze Singh 49; Jasprit Bumrah 3/14).
Gujarat: 128 for 4 in 17.5 overs (Asad Pathan 32; Rajwinder Singh 2/40).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'