Gujrat win Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
Indore: Gujarat today clinched the Syed Mushtaq Ali Twenty20 Championship title after registering a thumping six-wicket victory over Punjab in the summit clash.
Electing to bat, Punjab suffered a top-order collapse to be reduced to 20 for four in the sixth over before they recovered a bit to score 122 for eight in their allotted 20 overs at the Holkar Stadium.
Gujarat chased down the target with 13 balls to spare.
Pacer Jasprit Bumrah was the pick of the Gujarat bowlers as he returned with three wickets for just 14 runs from his four overs. Mehul Patel chipped in with two wickets, while Rohit Dahiya and Rakesh Dhurv took wicket apiece.
Amitoze Singh was the top- scorer for Punjab with a 42-ball 49, while wicketkeeper-batsman Chandan Madan contributed with 25 runs.
Chasing a modest target of 123, Gujarat started badly as they lost their wicketkeeper captain Parthiv Patel (1) with the score on two.
Opener Asad Pathan (32) and one-down batsman Niraj Patel (14) put up a 50-run partnership, before they were both dismissed in the eighth over with the team score of 52.
Manprit Juneja (31), who hit a breathtaking unbeaten 108 in their final Super League match against Kerala yesterday, and Abdulahad Malik (31 not out) put up a further 64 runs together, as Gujarat kept abreast with the required run-rate.
Akshar Patel (12 not out) sealed the victory in style with a six as Gujarat reached 128 for four in 17.5 overs.
For Punjab, left-arm spinner Rajwinder Singh grabbed two wickets for 40, while Siddarth Kaul bagged a wicket.
Punjab 122 for 8 in 20 overs (Amitoze Singh 49; Jasprit Bumrah 3/14).
Gujarat: 128 for 4 in 17.5 overs (Asad Pathan 32; Rajwinder Singh 2/40).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan