Sehwag fails again but Delhi beat Jammu & Kashmir by 17 runs
Gurgaon: Delhi won their third successive match in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy beating Jammu and Kashmir by 17 runs despite another failure by veteran Virender Sehwag.
Delhi with 12 points from three matches are now through to the knock-out round of the competition that will be held in Ranchi.
Batting first, Delhi scored 133 for six and then restricted Jammu and Kashmir to 116 for nine in stipulated 20 overs.
Opting to bat at the Teri Oval, Sehwag (4) lasted only three balls as young off-spinner Parveez Rasool dismissed him caught by Ahmed Bandy.
Skipper Rajat Bhatia (3) was also dismissed cheaply as Humaid Ronga caught him off Rahil Sombayal`s bowling
Unmukt Chand (23) smashed four boundaries but lost another senior partner in Puneet Bisht (10) who hit a huge six but got out trying to have left-arm spinner Raman Datta.
Dutta`s arm ball then accounted for Unmukt as Delhi were reduced 48 for four within eight overs.
At this stage, left-hander Jagrit Anand (34, 38 balls) and Milind Kumar (40, 31 balls) added 69 runs to steady the ship before the latter got out trying to cut Rasool.
Jammu and Kashmir lost out on the chase once Rasool (26) was holed out in the deep by Parvinder Awana off left-arm spinner Manan Sharma. Even though Bandeep Singh (32) used the long handle during his 23-ball knock, Jammu and Kashmir managed only 116 for nine. Bhatia was the most successful bowler with figures of three for 26 while Parvinder Awana and Vikas Tokas got two wickets apiece.
Brief Scores: Delhi 133/7 (Milind Kumar 40, Jagrit Anand 34, Parveez Rasool 2/27).
Jammu and Kashmir 116/9 (Bandeep Singh 32, Rajat Bhatia 3/26). Delhi won by 17 runs. Pts: Delhi 4; Jammu and Kashmir 0.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know