Sehwag fails again but Delhi beat Jammu & Kashmir by 17 runs
Gurgaon: Delhi won their third successive match in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy beating Jammu and Kashmir by 17 runs despite another failure by veteran Virender Sehwag.
Delhi with 12 points from three matches are now through to the knock-out round of the competition that will be held in Ranchi.
Batting first, Delhi scored 133 for six and then restricted Jammu and Kashmir to 116 for nine in stipulated 20 overs.
Opting to bat at the Teri Oval, Sehwag (4) lasted only three balls as young off-spinner Parveez Rasool dismissed him caught by Ahmed Bandy.
Skipper Rajat Bhatia (3) was also dismissed cheaply as Humaid Ronga caught him off Rahil Sombayal`s bowling
Unmukt Chand (23) smashed four boundaries but lost another senior partner in Puneet Bisht (10) who hit a huge six but got out trying to have left-arm spinner Raman Datta.
Dutta`s arm ball then accounted for Unmukt as Delhi were reduced 48 for four within eight overs.
At this stage, left-hander Jagrit Anand (34, 38 balls) and Milind Kumar (40, 31 balls) added 69 runs to steady the ship before the latter got out trying to cut Rasool.
Jammu and Kashmir lost out on the chase once Rasool (26) was holed out in the deep by Parvinder Awana off left-arm spinner Manan Sharma. Even though Bandeep Singh (32) used the long handle during his 23-ball knock, Jammu and Kashmir managed only 116 for nine. Bhatia was the most successful bowler with figures of three for 26 while Parvinder Awana and Vikas Tokas got two wickets apiece.
Brief Scores: Delhi 133/7 (Milind Kumar 40, Jagrit Anand 34, Parveez Rasool 2/27).
Jammu and Kashmir 116/9 (Bandeep Singh 32, Rajat Bhatia 3/26). Delhi won by 17 runs. Pts: Delhi 4; Jammu and Kashmir 0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days