Unmukt`s century helps Delhi beat Gujarat in Mushtaq Ali
Indore: Riding on young Unmukt Chand`s second consecutive hundred, Delhi today thrashed Gujarat by 112 runs in a Super League (Group A) match of the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament here.
The 19-year-old opener smashed his way to 63-ball 125, laced with 10 sixes and as many fours, to take Delhi to a mammoth 198 for four.
Chasing a stiff target, Gujarat batsmen crumbled under pressure and were dismissed for 86 in 17.3 overs.
Gujarat kept on losing wickets at regular intervals as none of their batsmen showed enough patience to stay at the crease and grind it out.
Pacer Sumit Narwal was the pick of the bowlers with three for 15 while left-arm spinner Manan Sharma also chipped in with two wickets for 16 runs.
Such was the poor state of Gujarat`s batting performance that seven of their batsmen failed to even reach the double digit mark.
Jesal Karia (24) was the top-scorer for Gujarat followed by spinner Rakesh Dhruv (15).
Earlier, put in to bat, Delhi openers - Unmukt and Dhruv Shorey (25) made life miserable for the listless Gujarat bowling attack at the Emerald Heights ground.
Both put on 61-run partnership for the opening wicket.
Unmukt then went on to add 110 runs in just 66 balls for the third-wicket partnership with Milind Kumar (23).
Unmukt pummelled Gujarat`s bowling attack with his vast reportoire of stroke-play to put his team in a commanding position.
After his departure, all-rounder Sumit Narwal (15) hit two sixes in four balls he faced to take his side closer to 200-run mark.
For Gujarat, Akshar Patel finished with figures of one for 22 in his four overs while Rohit Dahiya and Mehul accounted for a wicket apiece.
With two consecutive hundreds against Kerala and Gujarat, the former India U-19 World Cup-winning captain has staked his claim for a berth in Delhi Daredevils` playing XI in the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate