Unmukt`s century helps Delhi beat Gujarat in Mushtaq Ali
Indore: Riding on young Unmukt Chand`s second consecutive hundred, Delhi today thrashed Gujarat by 112 runs in a Super League (Group A) match of the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament here.
The 19-year-old opener smashed his way to 63-ball 125, laced with 10 sixes and as many fours, to take Delhi to a mammoth 198 for four.
Chasing a stiff target, Gujarat batsmen crumbled under pressure and were dismissed for 86 in 17.3 overs.
Gujarat kept on losing wickets at regular intervals as none of their batsmen showed enough patience to stay at the crease and grind it out.
Pacer Sumit Narwal was the pick of the bowlers with three for 15 while left-arm spinner Manan Sharma also chipped in with two wickets for 16 runs.
Such was the poor state of Gujarat`s batting performance that seven of their batsmen failed to even reach the double digit mark.
Jesal Karia (24) was the top-scorer for Gujarat followed by spinner Rakesh Dhruv (15).
Earlier, put in to bat, Delhi openers - Unmukt and Dhruv Shorey (25) made life miserable for the listless Gujarat bowling attack at the Emerald Heights ground.
Both put on 61-run partnership for the opening wicket.
Unmukt then went on to add 110 runs in just 66 balls for the third-wicket partnership with Milind Kumar (23).
Unmukt pummelled Gujarat`s bowling attack with his vast reportoire of stroke-play to put his team in a commanding position.
After his departure, all-rounder Sumit Narwal (15) hit two sixes in four balls he faced to take his side closer to 200-run mark.
For Gujarat, Akshar Patel finished with figures of one for 22 in his four overs while Rohit Dahiya and Mehul accounted for a wicket apiece.
With two consecutive hundreds against Kerala and Gujarat, the former India U-19 World Cup-winning captain has staked his claim for a berth in Delhi Daredevils` playing XI in the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon