Don`t disrupt Sri Lankan team
Sri Lanka`s World Cup winning captain Arjuna Ranatunga has criticised a commentary by state run Independent Television Network (ITN) that implied Sri Lankan vice-captain Mahela Jayawardene was guilty of match fixing.
Following Sri Lanka`s 11-run defeat to Pakistan in a Group `A` match of the World Cup in Colombo, ITN ran a commentary soon after the news bulletin implying that middle order batsmen Mahela Jayawardene and Thilan Samaraweera had under-performed.
Jayawardene was dismissed for two while Samaraweera made one run.
"The team shouldn`t be disrupted during the World Cup," Ranatunga said. "It`s disappointing that people have to make such allegations after one defeat and what has really disappointed me is that a channel owned by the government is making this allegation," he added.
"We need to go to the bottom of this and find out what prompted them to say it and whether any force wants to disrupt the team," Ranatunga said.
Following the news item, it was reported that Jayawardene is contemplating legal action against the television station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam