Don`t disrupt Sri Lankan team
Sri Lanka`s World Cup winning captain Arjuna Ranatunga has criticised a commentary by state run Independent Television Network (ITN) that implied Sri Lankan vice-captain Mahela Jayawardene was guilty of match fixing.
Following Sri Lanka`s 11-run defeat to Pakistan in a Group `A` match of the World Cup in Colombo, ITN ran a commentary soon after the news bulletin implying that middle order batsmen Mahela Jayawardene and Thilan Samaraweera had under-performed.
Jayawardene was dismissed for two while Samaraweera made one run.
"The team shouldn`t be disrupted during the World Cup," Ranatunga said. "It`s disappointing that people have to make such allegations after one defeat and what has really disappointed me is that a channel owned by the government is making this allegation," he added.
"We need to go to the bottom of this and find out what prompted them to say it and whether any force wants to disrupt the team," Ranatunga said.
Following the news item, it was reported that Jayawardene is contemplating legal action against the television station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Separatists leaders Geelani, Mirwaiz detained ahead of proposed protest march
- Pakistan fans trolled Virat Kohli after Misbah-ul-Haq & Co dethroned India in ICC rankings
- 'A Flying Jatt' Box Office collections: Tiger Shroff-Jacqueline Fernandez starrer mints Rs 7.10 cr on opening day!
- It's terrible and awful - parents leave daughters to starve at Delhi home
- 'India can recast global narrative; needs 8-10% growth'