Don`t disrupt Sri Lankan team
Sri Lanka`s World Cup winning captain Arjuna Ranatunga has criticised a commentary by state run Independent Television Network (ITN) that implied Sri Lankan vice-captain Mahela Jayawardene was guilty of match fixing.
Following Sri Lanka`s 11-run defeat to Pakistan in a Group `A` match of the World Cup in Colombo, ITN ran a commentary soon after the news bulletin implying that middle order batsmen Mahela Jayawardene and Thilan Samaraweera had under-performed.
Jayawardene was dismissed for two while Samaraweera made one run.
"The team shouldn`t be disrupted during the World Cup," Ranatunga said. "It`s disappointing that people have to make such allegations after one defeat and what has really disappointed me is that a channel owned by the government is making this allegation," he added.
"We need to go to the bottom of this and find out what prompted them to say it and whether any force wants to disrupt the team," Ranatunga said.
Following the news item, it was reported that Jayawardene is contemplating legal action against the television station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi