Don`t understand why players indulge in corruption: Afridi
Karachi: The IPL spot-fixing scandal has left Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi "sad" and he cannot understand why some players are lured into corrupt practices despite earning good money.
"I just don`t understand why these players have to resort to illegal means to earn money when there is already good money to be earned by playing cricket honestly and with 100 per cent commitment and dedication," Afridi told a news channel.
The former captain said he was saddened by the recent IPL spot-fixing controversy which led to the arrest of three players.
"It is sad to see fellow players come to this stage that they are sent to jails. Because there is so much cricket these days everywhere they are so many professional T20 cricket leagues which pay good money to players," he noted.
A TV channel on Thursday reported that Afridi played a key role in bringing to the notice of the International Cricket Council anti-corruption unit, the illegal activities of the banned trio of Salman Butt, Muhammad Asif and Muhammad Aamir on the tour to England in 2010.
Apparently Afridi provided enough material to the ICC and also informed the PCB about the shady activities of the three players who are presently serving minimum five year bans from the sport.
The former captain was dropped for the Champions Trophy because of poor form but has been retained in category A of the new central contracts given by the Board this month to select players.
Afridi interestingly believed he didn`t deserve to be in the top category given his ordinary performance in recent months.
"Frankly speaking, the way I have performed in the last few months, I don`t think I deserve to be given the A category I would be more comfortable and justified in Category B," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?