Don`t understand why players indulge in corruption: Afridi
Karachi: The IPL spot-fixing scandal has left Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi "sad" and he cannot understand why some players are lured into corrupt practices despite earning good money.
"I just don`t understand why these players have to resort to illegal means to earn money when there is already good money to be earned by playing cricket honestly and with 100 per cent commitment and dedication," Afridi told a news channel.
The former captain said he was saddened by the recent IPL spot-fixing controversy which led to the arrest of three players.
"It is sad to see fellow players come to this stage that they are sent to jails. Because there is so much cricket these days everywhere they are so many professional T20 cricket leagues which pay good money to players," he noted.
A TV channel on Thursday reported that Afridi played a key role in bringing to the notice of the International Cricket Council anti-corruption unit, the illegal activities of the banned trio of Salman Butt, Muhammad Asif and Muhammad Aamir on the tour to England in 2010.
Apparently Afridi provided enough material to the ICC and also informed the PCB about the shady activities of the three players who are presently serving minimum five year bans from the sport.
The former captain was dropped for the Champions Trophy because of poor form but has been retained in category A of the new central contracts given by the Board this month to select players.
Afridi interestingly believed he didn`t deserve to be in the top category given his ordinary performance in recent months.
"Frankly speaking, the way I have performed in the last few months, I don`t think I deserve to be given the A category I would be more comfortable and justified in Category B," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31