Donald terms Dale Steyn ‘greatest ever’ South African fast bowler
Brisbane: Allan Donald, who was the first South African to claim 300 Test wickets, has termed Proteas spearhead Dale Steyn as the greatest pacer ever ahead of their three-match series against Australia starting at the Gabba on Friday.
Donald, now the South African bowling coach, took 330 Test wickets at 22.
“Honestly, and I am being 100 per cent, I think he is the greatest bowler for South Africa, if not the best ever, I have seen. Not only is he an athlete but he is a competitor. He has got a case of white-line fever that I have never seen before. He has got everything you wish for in a fast bowler,” Donald said.
He reckons watching Steyn let rip in the Proteas’ first Test in Brisbane since 1963 may yet make up for the frustration.
“What makes him such a magnificent bowler is the length he bowls. He`s difficult to get at, he swings it at 148 to 150km/h, and he`s aggressive. That makes him a huge threat to any side, and he keeps coming all day. He never seems to be bowling within himself - what more can you ask for?” Donald said of Steyn.
Steyn has so far claimed 287 wickets at 23.50 - and Donald expects that tally to rise considerably.
Commenting on Australian coach Mickey Arthur highlighting Steyn’s poor strike rate against left-handers, Donald said: “Let`s just say I don`t think I have to go to Dale and tell him `Listen are you worried about bowling to left-handers’.”
“Dale has had great success against left-handers in the past - this will fire him up even more. The thing is he is fiery on the field but quite placid off it. He is a purring cat all day. On the field he is a different animal.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!