Double ton for Trott as Pietersen struggles
Cardiff: Jonathan Trott struck a double century and Ian Bell went to the brink of a hundred as England piled on the runs against a depleted Sri Lanka attack in the first Test.
England were 491 for five in reply to Sri Lanka`s first innings 400, a lead of 91, at stumps with just one day of this rain-marred first of a three-Test series remaining.
Trott made 209 and put on 160 for the fifth wicket with Warwickshire colleague Bell, unbeaten on 98 at the close. Eoin Morgan was 14 not out.
But, with more bad weather in an already rain-marred match forecast for tomorrow, a draw in this opening match of a three-Test series remained the most likely result.
It was a different story though for Trott`s fellow South Africa-born batsman Kevin Pietersen, whose well-documented problems against left-arm spin continued when he fell to Rangana Herath for just three.
This was the composed Trott`s second Test double hundred following his 226 against Bangladesh at Lord`s last year.
And of his six Test hundreds, four have been in excess of 150 -- a remarkable conversion rate that has helped Trott to an average of 66.77, second only to that of Australia great Sir Donald Bradman`s 99.94.
Trott`s more than eight-hour innings eventually ended when he was bowled making room to cut against the spin of Sri Lanka captain Tillakaratne Dilshan, having faced 409 balls with 17 boundaries. He has been criticised, though, for slow scoring and in taking 190 balls to make 78 runs today he gave his detractors some ammunition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth