Double ton for Trott as Pietersen struggles
Cardiff: Jonathan Trott struck a double century and Ian Bell went to the brink of a hundred as England piled on the runs against a depleted Sri Lanka attack in the first Test.
England were 491 for five in reply to Sri Lanka`s first innings 400, a lead of 91, at stumps with just one day of this rain-marred first of a three-Test series remaining.
Trott made 209 and put on 160 for the fifth wicket with Warwickshire colleague Bell, unbeaten on 98 at the close. Eoin Morgan was 14 not out.
But, with more bad weather in an already rain-marred match forecast for tomorrow, a draw in this opening match of a three-Test series remained the most likely result.
It was a different story though for Trott`s fellow South Africa-born batsman Kevin Pietersen, whose well-documented problems against left-arm spin continued when he fell to Rangana Herath for just three.
This was the composed Trott`s second Test double hundred following his 226 against Bangladesh at Lord`s last year.
And of his six Test hundreds, four have been in excess of 150 -- a remarkable conversion rate that has helped Trott to an average of 66.77, second only to that of Australia great Sir Donald Bradman`s 99.94.
Trott`s more than eight-hour innings eventually ended when he was bowled making room to cut against the spin of Sri Lanka captain Tillakaratne Dilshan, having faced 409 balls with 17 boundaries. He has been criticised, though, for slow scoring and in taking 190 balls to make 78 runs today he gave his detractors some ammunition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt