Dravid shows what it takes to be int`l player: Hussain
London: Impressed with Rahul Dravid`s gritty batting against England in a disastrous tour for India, former England captain Nasser Hussain said the senior batsman has shown some of his own teammates what it takes to be an international cricketer.
Lauding Dravid, who scored three hundreds even as his team crumbled in the Test series against England, Hussain said the right-hander has shown exceptional mental strength.
"It is one thing to score runs when everything is in the batsman`s favour on flat pitches but it is quite another to do it when everyone around you are losing their heads and failing," Hussain wrote in his column.
"For Dravid to stand up the way he has speaks volumes for his mental strength and character and he has been entirely selfless too in opening the batting when others, for whatever reason, have been unable to.”
"Dravid has shown some in Indian dressing room what it takes to be an international cricketer. He is up there with Tendulkar as a legend of the game. He scores tough runs," he added.
Hussain said Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni and coach Duncan Fletcher should hope that Dravid, set to retire from limited overs cricket after this tour, does not quit the longer version of the game.
"Dhoni and Fletcher will hope Dravid stays around for as long as possible to carry on setting right example for players coming into India side. They will not want him to exercise any thoughts about retirement for some time yet," he said.
Hussain criticised Gautam Gambhir for not coming out to bat yesterday in India`s second innings.
"If I had been Dravid I would have wanted to open India`s second innings to carry on where I had left off but I can`t understand why Gautam Gambhir could not have batted at three second time round. If his head injury did not stop him batting then he might as well have got out there and got on with it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'