Dravid, Vishwanath in Kirmani`s greatest ever Test team
Bangalore: Rahul Dravid and G R Vishwanath are among the 12 Karnataka players picked by former Indian wicketkeeper Syed Kirmani in his personal list of the state`s greatest ever in Test cricket.
In his team, fast bowlers Javagal Srinath and Venkatesh Prasad would not find themselves playing in tandem in a match, but both have been included in the 12-member list.
"I wouldn`t dream of not playing two legends Pras (EAS Prasanna) and Chandra (Bhagwat Chandrashekhar) in tandem in a match and hence will have no other option but to play either of the two fast bowlers (Sri or Venky) in a match," he told PTI on the occasion of Platinum Jubilee Celebrations of the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) here today.
Kirmani`s Greatest Test XI hailing from Karnataka has Venkataraman Subramanya as captain while he picked himself as the wicket-keeper.
On Subramanya, Kirmani who played 88 Tests and claimed 160 catches and 38 stumpings, said, "If he wouldn`t have migrated overseas, I have no doubts he would have captained the Indian Test side."
Subramanya, a tall aggressive middle-order batsman and more than a useful legspin bowler, played Tests between 1965 and 1968.
Against West Indies at Madras in 1966-67, Subramanya hit a breezy 61, treating Wesly Hall and Charlie Griffith with disdain. In all, he played nine Tests and scored 263 runs in fifteen innings with 75 as his career highest.
On G R Vishwanath, Kirmani said he was a legend in the making right from his early days when he played for his state and the country.
"He has a rare distinction of scoring debut centuries in Test and Ranji. He was brilliant, a legend in the making," he said.
In fact Vishwanath, who scored 14 Test centuries, considers his second innings knock of 137 on his Test debut at Kanpur in 1969-70 against Bill Lawry`s Australia as his best.
On picking up Prasanna and Chandrashekhar, Kirmani said "There is nobody who has come anywhere near their dust. Only a wicketkeeper will know what keeping is all about when he stands up to these two legends."
Prasanna is famous for achieving the fastest 100 wickets in Tests for an Indian Bowler in 20 Tests, which is still a record. He picked up 189 wickets in 49 Tests in his career.
Chandrashekhar was given the Wisden`s "Best bowling performance of the century" award in 2002, for his six wickets for 38 runs against England at the Oval in 1971.
Kirmani`s Greatest 12-member Test XI hailing from Karnataka: Venkataraman Subramanya (Captain), Roger Binny, Rahul Dravid, G R Vishwanath, Brijesh Patel, Syed Kirmani (Wicketkeeper), Sunil Joshi, Anil Kumble, EAS Prasanna, Bhagwat Chandrashekhar, Javagal Srinath, Venkatesh Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?