Duminy ruled out of Oz tour with Achilles injury
Brisbane: Proteas batsman JP Duminy has been ruled out of the test series against Australia after rupturing his left Achilles` tendon on Friday.
The injury occurred during a fitness training drill after the opening day at the Gabba with MRI scans confirming the injury.
"At first assessment JP said he heard a loud clicking sound and it felt like he had been hit by an object. The diagnosis of an Achilles` tendon rupture was confirmed by the MRI scan this evening and he will undergo surgery to re-attach the tendon on Saturday morning," said Team Manager Dr. Mohammed Moosajee.
"Injuries of this nature are caused by a sudden contraction against the direction of movement by the calf muscle as was the case during his sprint. We will only be able to gauge further down the line on an expected recovery date, but injuries of this nature have been known to take up to at least six months before the player can resume playing cricket. "He is obviously disappointed, but JP, being JP, is trying his best to stay positive, he says everything happens for a reason," he added.
Duminy will not feature in the rest of the match, with 12th man Francois du Plessis assuming the fielding duties.
He will return back to South Africa as soon as possible with a replacement to be named in due course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons