Dutch skipper proud of brave team
New Delhi: The Netherlands skipper Peter Borren says he is proud of his team for putting up a "brave" performance against title favourites India in a World Cup match even though he admitted that the Dutch remain an inconsistent outfit.
The Netherlands lost by five wickets against India but managed to impress with their spirited performance last night.
Borren said his team did well even though it was not at the right side of the result.
"It`s been a roller-coaster day, been up and down, up and down and in the end I`m very proud of the guys and the effort that we made in defending what wasn`t a really high score against a fantastic batting line-up," said Borren.
"We told everyone before this tournament started that we were going to try and make sure that we had chances to win in every game and I think to be honest we had a chance when India were 99-4 and it only takes a couple of good moments of cricket there and you`re right on top," he added.
"We were brave to come back from where we were with the batting. We were brave to come back from where we were after (Virender) Sehwag and (Sachin) Tendulkar`s onslaught," said Borren.
Borren said the Dutch were inconsistent and that showed in their performance.
"To say we`re progressing, getting better in every game this tournament, that`s not quite right," he said.
"We`re inconsistent. It`s never easy. We don`t get to play at this level very often. The last three years we`ve made real progress. We`ve got a full-time coach now, we`ve got guys who put a lot more time and effort into it.”
"We play a lot more cricket, not against full members, which is a shame, but among the associates. There`s a lot more cricket and I think we`re progressing because of it," he added.
Borren said with fellow minnows Bangladesh and Ireland awaiting them in the forthcoming matches, he the Dutch can "get a win or two on the board."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs