ECB likely to offer Test only deal to Kevin Pietersen
London: To persuade Kevin Pietersen to prolong his international career beyond the end of the current series against South Africa, the England and Wales Cricket Board is all set to offer a Test only contract to him.
Pietersen had warned on Monday that next week’s third Test at Lord’s could be his last game for England following an ongoing contractual dispute with his employers and what he called dressing-room politics.
The ECB is keen not to lose Pietersen ahead of a crucial four-Test series in India and back-to-back Ashes series in 2013, despite being effectively accused by the batsman of leaking details of recent meetings about his future between his representatives and board officials.
Pietersen quit one-day international and Twenty20 cricket in June, and with the current contracts up for renewal in September, could be offered a deal similar to that signed by his captain and Test specialist Andrew Strauss.
The doubts remain whether Pietersen, who is keen to cash in on a full season in next year’s Indian Premier League, will agree to the ECB’s new deal.
Pietersen, 32, has never forgiven the ECB for sacking him as captain and fell out with his employers again recently, retiring from one-day cricket because he could skip some limited-over series.
He wants to play in the World Twenty20 next month in Sri Lanka but the ECB has a blanket policy of not picking players for T20 matches if they are not available for one-day cricket.
Averaging 50 from 88 Tests with 21 centuries, Pietersen claimed it is not a money issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'