ECB must take right decision on KP’s Test future: Stewart
London: As England gears up for its third and final Test against South Africa, uncertainty looms over the selection of star batsman Kevin Pietersen.
According to former captain Alec Stewart, Pietesen’s decision to retire from one-day cricket, and his subsequent perceived threat to give up playing Tests because of differences with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the players, puts the onus on the latter to take and make the correct decision about KP’s international cricket future.
“The most time consuming and frustrating element of the selection meeting will have revolved around Kevin Pietersen. The KP scenario has rapidly developed since he suggested that the next Test could be his last,” the Daily Mirror quoted Stewart, as saying in his column.
“So, will they, or won’t they pick KP for Lord’s, and will it be the last time we see him in an England shirt?” he questioned.
Stewart said that it is imperative that the England Cricket Board makes the right decisions because “everyone must understand that no individual is bigger than the team, or an organization, however good he may be.”
“There is history between England and KP, which dates back to when he was stripped of the captaincy after just three Test matches and nine one-day internationals, following a number of disputes with then team coach Peter Moores at the start of 2009,” Stewart writes.
He expressed hope that this ugly situation can be resolved amicably, as KP is a world-class player, whom cricket fans will want to still see perform on the international stage.
“Whenever KP hangs up his bat and calls it a day, he should want to be able to look back on a fantastic career and have no regrets,” Stewart said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!