Ed Cowan ready to face South African bowling attack
Sydney: Australia opener Ed Cowan has welcomed the challenge of facing a fearsome South African bowling attack, boasting of Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander and Morne Morkel during the upcoming series against the Proteas.
Cowan enjoyed a promising start to his career as Australian Test opener with 68 on debut in the Boxing Day Test against India last summer.
But since then the 30-year-old opener has failed to register a big score. Cowan averages 29.83 in his seven Tests against India and the West Indies.
Coach Mickey Arthur has predicted a “baptism of fire” for the duo when the three-Test series gets underway at the Gabba on November 9.
Cowan said: “If you are proving yourself against the South Africans at the moment you are a high quality Test player. And it also makes it pretty clear cut if you are scoring runs against them as opposed to Bangladesh or Zimbabwe when everyone is still asking questions, saying ``oh he wouldn`t do it against the best team in the world``. Well here we are ... the best team in the world, let`s see how good we are.”
He admitted he’s struggled somewhat with the increased scrutiny of his cricket that came with his unexpected rise to the Australian side.
“When you are in the Australian cricket team you can expect scrutiny, and that scrutiny is a great deal more than you get in state cricket. No one is safe in the Australian cricket team, you have to be scoring runs to be consistently picked,” Cowan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark