Eden Test, Day 1: Statistical highlights
Kolkata: Statistical highlights of the opening day`s play in the second cricket Test between India and the West Indies on Monday.
• Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman put on 140 for the fourth wicket - Dravid`s 87th stand of 100 or more, extending his world record.
• For the first time in his glorious Test career, Dravid has posted two sixes in an innings. With this, he has posted 21 sixes in 276 innings.
• VVS Laxman (73 not out off 116 balls) has recorded his 12th fifty against the West Indies - his 56th in Tests.
• Laxman`s superb knock is his 25th fifty at home in 56 Tests.
• Laxman, thanks to his aforesaid innings, has taken his total at Eden Gardens, Kolkata to 1114 at an average of 101.27 in 10 Tests, including four centuries and four fifties.
• Laxman`s record against West Indies is quite impressive, aggregating 1549 at an average of 55.32 in 21 Tests, including three hundreds.
• Gautam Gambhir has recorded his first fifty (65 off 103 balls) against the West Indies - his 17th in Tests.
• Gambhir`s 65 is his first fifty at Eden Gardens, outstripping his previous highest of 29 against Pakistan in March 2005.
• Ishant Sharma`s first duck against the West Indies is his 12th in Tests.
• As a batsman, Ishant is averaging 5.00 in 2011 – 50 runs in ten Tests.
• India (346 for five) have recorded their highest total on the first day of a Test match against West Indies at home, obliterating the 308 for six at Chepauk in 1987-88.
• Virender Sehwag, in the course of his 38 off 33 balls, has completed his 6000 runs in first team innings, managing 6018 at an average of 66.86 in 91 innings, including 21 hundreds and 17 fifties.
• Sehwag is now the fourth Indian after Sachin Tendulkar (10676), Rahul Dravid (8940) and Sunil Gavaskar (6159) and the 13th in Test annals to complete 6,000 runs in first team innings. Sehwag`s average is the highest amongst the batsmen with 6,000 runs or more in first team innings.
• Rahul Dravid is the top run-scorer this year in Tests -952 at an average of 59.50 in 10 Tests - the most by a batsman in 2011, bettering Ian Bell`s tally of 950 runs at an average of 118.75 in eight Tests.
• Dravid has recorded his fifth hundred against the West Indies - his 36th in Tests. Only Sachin Tendulkar (51), Jacques Kallis (40) and Ricky Ponting (39) have registered more hundreds than Dravid.
• Dravid`s magnificent 119 is his 15th hundred at home in 69 Tests. Dravid has recorded five centuries in a calendar year for the second time after 2002.
• Dravid became the second batsman to register five hundreds in Tests in 2011, joining Ian Bell.
• Four fifty-plus stands for the first four wickets have been witnessed by India against West Indies for the fourth time.