Eight arrested for betting on IPL final
Lucknow: A betting gang was busted in Kanpur late Sunday and eight bookies were arrested for betting on the Indian Premier League (IPL) final, police said Monday.
Police seized Rs.8 lakh in cash, two laptops, 18 mobile phones and a car from the bookies.
Deputy Inspector general of Police R.K. Chaturvedi said that the bookies had connections with rackets being run in Delhi, Mumbai and overseas.
Police raided a house in Fazalganj area area after a tip off and made the arrests, he added.
"The bookies are part of a larger national and international network of betting in cricket," said an official.
A similar gang was busted in Varanasi late Saturday and several people arrested for betting on IPL matches.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump