Eight arrested for betting on IPL final
Lucknow: A betting gang was busted in Kanpur late Sunday and eight bookies were arrested for betting on the Indian Premier League (IPL) final, police said Monday.
Police seized Rs.8 lakh in cash, two laptops, 18 mobile phones and a car from the bookies.
Deputy Inspector general of Police R.K. Chaturvedi said that the bookies had connections with rackets being run in Delhi, Mumbai and overseas.
Police raided a house in Fazalganj area area after a tip off and made the arrests, he added.
"The bookies are part of a larger national and international network of betting in cricket," said an official.
A similar gang was busted in Varanasi late Saturday and several people arrested for betting on IPL matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8