Emotional Yuvraj recalls his struggles on Cancer Day
Gurgaon: India cricketer Yuvraj Singh had tears rolling down his cheeks as he recalled his successful battle with cancer on a day, which is named after the dreaded disease.
On the occasion of World Cancer Day, Yuvraj spoke about the time after he was diagnosed with a rare germ cell cancer between his lungs a few months post India`s World Cup triumph in 2011.
"Today is about survivorship. I didn`t believe when I was first told that I have cancer. I thought how can a young person like me get cancer. I thought it could never happen to me. It took me a while to realise that I was diagnosed with cancer," an emotional Yuvraj said.
Nearly a year back the stylish left-hander was battling a stage-1 cancerous tumour in his left lung at a hospital in Indianapolis and while his near ones remembered the tough time, Yuvraj could not control his tears.
"I always cry now, I have become a cry baby. I was feeling that life might come to an end," he said.
The event, hosted in collaboration with Crown Plaza Today, witnessed a gathering of cancer patients and survivors sharing their experiences of fighting the disease.
The 31-year-old said his aim now is to generate awareness and facilitate early detection of cancer through his initiative `YouWeCan`.
"I want to give back to the society. Many cancer patients die because their disease is not detected early. Also, there is a stigma attached to it. The need is to address those issues," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan