Eng vs NZ, 2nd Test, Day 1: Compton, Trott score tons as England post 267/2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Wellington: Centuries by Nick Compton and Jonathan Trott on day one of the second Test put England on course for a huge first innings total as they finished at 267 for the loss of two wickets.
New Zealand captain McCullum won the toss and put England in to bat. Left armer Neil Wagner gave the hosts an early breakthrough when he dismissed Alastair Cook for 17 runs.
However, after the initial hiccup, it was all England as Compton (100) and Trott (121*) got together for a 210 run partnership to lead England to a dominating position.
At the end of play on day one Kevin Pietersen (18*) was batting with Trott.
New Zealand pacers disappointed and did not live up to the expectations of the skipper. Slow left arm spinner Bruce Martin was the most impressive bowler on display and ended with figures of 1 for 58 in 27 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Next Reserve Bank of India chief faces balancing act on bank clean-up
- Delhi Court dismisses AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya's bail in alleged molestation case
- 24 years, 24 women, 24 lessons: Shah Rukh Khan sums up his Bollywood journey so far!
- Freedom 251 deliveries to begin from tomorrow
- Israel to maintain Gaza naval blockade after deal with Turkey: Netanyahu