Eng vs NZ, 2nd Test, Day 1: Compton, Trott score tons as England post 267/2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Wellington: Centuries by Nick Compton and Jonathan Trott on day one of the second Test put England on course for a huge first innings total as they finished at 267 for the loss of two wickets.
New Zealand captain McCullum won the toss and put England in to bat. Left armer Neil Wagner gave the hosts an early breakthrough when he dismissed Alastair Cook for 17 runs.
However, after the initial hiccup, it was all England as Compton (100) and Trott (121*) got together for a 210 run partnership to lead England to a dominating position.
At the end of play on day one Kevin Pietersen (18*) was batting with Trott.
New Zealand pacers disappointed and did not live up to the expectations of the skipper. Slow left arm spinner Bruce Martin was the most impressive bowler on display and ended with figures of 1 for 58 in 27 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’