England batsmen are ‘worst’ players of spin attack: Boycott
Sydney: Legendary England batsman Geoffrey Boycott has described England’s current batsmen as the ‘worst’ players of spin bowling and their performance in Abu Dhabi as ‘shocking’.
“Collapse in Abu Dhabi was truly shocking and showed the No.1 side are just about the worst against spin. This set of players have a huge problem playing on turning pitches in sub-continental conditions,” said Boycott in his column for The Sydney Morning Herald.
Boycott believes no other team plays spin as bad as England after they succumbed to Pakistan’s spin duo of Saeed Ajmal and Abdur Rehman. “I do not believe that any other team play the slow turning ball as badly as England. They were clueless.”
“England batted as if they had no idea how to score. They succumbed like lemmings jumping off a cliff: uncertain, negative and mesmerized,” he added.
He went on to claim that if Pakistan had collapsed the way England did then people would have raised their eyebrows. “If that had been Pakistan collapsing ignominiously everybody would have been asking if there had been any funny business. Our batsmen were like rabbits frozen in headlights and scared stiff to play a shot,” he added.
Boycott was also bewildered over England’s awful performance despite of having two coaches who were terrific players of spin bowling in Andy Flower and Graham Gooch. “How the hell have we become as bad as this? We have two guys coaching them who were good players of spin.”
“Andy Flower was one of the best players in the world and has a terrific Test record. Graham Gooch was a world-class player. One of the best innings he ever played was his century in the semi-final of the World Cup in 1987 in Bombay against India,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested