England batsmen are ‘worst’ players of spin attack: Boycott
Sydney: Legendary England batsman Geoffrey Boycott has described England’s current batsmen as the ‘worst’ players of spin bowling and their performance in Abu Dhabi as ‘shocking’.
“Collapse in Abu Dhabi was truly shocking and showed the No.1 side are just about the worst against spin. This set of players have a huge problem playing on turning pitches in sub-continental conditions,” said Boycott in his column for The Sydney Morning Herald.
Boycott believes no other team plays spin as bad as England after they succumbed to Pakistan’s spin duo of Saeed Ajmal and Abdur Rehman. “I do not believe that any other team play the slow turning ball as badly as England. They were clueless.”
“England batted as if they had no idea how to score. They succumbed like lemmings jumping off a cliff: uncertain, negative and mesmerized,” he added.
He went on to claim that if Pakistan had collapsed the way England did then people would have raised their eyebrows. “If that had been Pakistan collapsing ignominiously everybody would have been asking if there had been any funny business. Our batsmen were like rabbits frozen in headlights and scared stiff to play a shot,” he added.
Boycott was also bewildered over England’s awful performance despite of having two coaches who were terrific players of spin bowling in Andy Flower and Graham Gooch. “How the hell have we become as bad as this? We have two guys coaching them who were good players of spin.”
“Andy Flower was one of the best players in the world and has a terrific Test record. Graham Gooch was a world-class player. One of the best innings he ever played was his century in the semi-final of the World Cup in 1987 in Bombay against India,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon