England could still miss Pietersen: Arthur
London: Australia coach Mickey Arthur believes England could still miss their star batsman Kevin Pietersen, despite winning four successive one-day internationals since he retired from limited overs cricket.
Pietersen, who remains a Test cricketer, quit the shorter formats after England refused his request to give up one-dayers but still play Twenty20s.
Innings of 125, 53, 41 and 75 by Pietersen’s replacement Ian Bell has helped England win against the West Indies 2-0 and take a 2-0 lead against Australia in the ongoing five match series.
“Kevin’s a world-class player, there``s certainly no getting away from that. He’s been fantastic, so it would have been an interesting selection poser,” a website quoted Arthur, as saying.
“You would say they’ve gone seemingly well without him, because I don``t think they``ve lost an ODI since he’s gone. But down the line I think they might feel the weight of that decision, because he is a class act - and he was playing very, very well as well before it ended for him. At the moment they``re not missing him but down the line, not sure.”
However, England is on a run of eight successive ODI wins and Arthur said: “I think they``re playing really well. They``re playing a very good brand of cricket. They``re playing with their specialists; they``re playing the one-day game with their best players.”
Arthur is hopeful that Australia will raise their game over the remaining three ODIs against England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31