England cricketers to face HMRC quiz on tax loophole
London: England cricket stars would be facing an tax investigation into a loophole that could be saving players thousands of pounds a year.
England players such as Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Strauss could be asked about their taxes as part of an inquiry by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) into the use of image rights companies by cricketers.
According to a newspaper, investigators have met in the past few weeks with officials from the sport’s governing body, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and have written to all 18 leading county sides, asking for information on how their players are paid.
The new probe will focus on companies that sports stars set up to handle their earnings from commercial deals and sponsorship.
The Companies House register showed that 11 of the 13 England cricketers on contract to the ECB have companies of this kind, which include James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Eoin Morgan, Steven Finn, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Andrew Strauss and Graeme Swann.
However, when contacted, the players’ agents said none had been approached by Revenue & Customs in connection with the inquiry.
“Their earnings (from playing cricket) do not go through their image rights companies. The two are entirely separate,” Mike Martin, who represents Strauss, Cook and Prior.
The same notion was reiterated by Anderson’s agent, Luke Sutton and Bell and Pietersen’s agent Adam Wheatley.
Revenue & Customs believes some players may be avoiding their full tax liability by having a disproportionately large percentage of their salary paid into their image rights companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM