England needs to tackle Pak spinners to end their losing streak in third Test
London: England’s batsmen have to devise a strategy to specifically tackle Pakistan’s spinners in order to set up a formidable score in the third Test, an article in a daily has said.
The Telegraph article said that one solution to the problem is to be more positive against the spinners, but added “that is by no means straightforward if the ball is turning, as it had happened on the first day of both Tests.”
Another solution is to make a change in the squad, with Ravi Bopara or Steven Davies replacing Morgan.
The article anticipates that England might not make the change for strategic reasons
“If they bring in Bopara now they are as good as committed to playing him in the two Tests in Sri Lanka in March and April as well, though with his bowling that might not be the worst idea should they want to persist with an attack comprising two seamers and two spinners in steamy Colombo,” the article said.
According to the article, England’s wounded pride or their desire to create history in the manner of the 1980’s West Indies team or the Australian side under Steve Waugh should motivate them ahead of the third Test.
The West Indies did not lose a single Test series between 1980 and 1994 while Australia had a formidable record over a similar period with only India, away, as a blemish.
The article said that England has recalibrated their goals to win all three series in subcontinental conditions this year and to make a mark in cricket history.
“We don’t want to just be one-hit wonders, get there, have six months of lapping up everyone saying how good you are and then disappearing,” England bowler James Anderson said.
The third Test will take place in the wake of several England players awaiting news of Saturday’s Indian Premier League auction.
“Yet whether he and the others hit IPL pay dirt or not, it is time all the words stopped and the runs began to flow in their place,” the article concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- UPSC makes public civil services mark sheets
- Watch: A closer look at the Tajik National Park, Tajikistan!
- Did you meet 'Meri Pyaari Bindu' Parineeti Chopra's new friend 'Devdas'?
- Kajol laments lack of 'exciting' scripts
- 'Sarbjit' Box Office collections: Randeep Hooda-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan starrer mints Rs 8.25 cr!