England needs to tackle Pak spinners to end their losing streak in third Test
London: England’s batsmen have to devise a strategy to specifically tackle Pakistan’s spinners in order to set up a formidable score in the third Test, an article in a daily has said.
The Telegraph article said that one solution to the problem is to be more positive against the spinners, but added “that is by no means straightforward if the ball is turning, as it had happened on the first day of both Tests.”
Another solution is to make a change in the squad, with Ravi Bopara or Steven Davies replacing Morgan.
The article anticipates that England might not make the change for strategic reasons
“If they bring in Bopara now they are as good as committed to playing him in the two Tests in Sri Lanka in March and April as well, though with his bowling that might not be the worst idea should they want to persist with an attack comprising two seamers and two spinners in steamy Colombo,” the article said.
According to the article, England’s wounded pride or their desire to create history in the manner of the 1980’s West Indies team or the Australian side under Steve Waugh should motivate them ahead of the third Test.
The West Indies did not lose a single Test series between 1980 and 1994 while Australia had a formidable record over a similar period with only India, away, as a blemish.
The article said that England has recalibrated their goals to win all three series in subcontinental conditions this year and to make a mark in cricket history.
“We don’t want to just be one-hit wonders, get there, have six months of lapping up everyone saying how good you are and then disappearing,” England bowler James Anderson said.
The third Test will take place in the wake of several England players awaiting news of Saturday’s Indian Premier League auction.
“Yet whether he and the others hit IPL pay dirt or not, it is time all the words stopped and the runs began to flow in their place,” the article concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song