England recall Stokes for India opener
London: Durham all-rounder Ben Stokes was recalled by England as the selectors named a 13-man squad on Wednesday for next week`s first Test against India at Trent Bridge.
Stokes was the only addition to the 12-man party chosen for England`s recent 1-0 loss in a two-Test series at home to Sri Lanka.
The 23-year-old Stokes was not chosen for that short campaign while he regained full fitness following an embarrassingly self-inflicted wrist injury.
So angry was Stokes at being dismissed for a golden duck against the West Indies in Barbados, he punched a dressing room locker at the Kensington Oval in Bridgetown and promptly broke a bone in his hand.
That forced him to miss the ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh and the start of the English season.
However, Stokes has already shown his ability at international level by providing England with a rare highlight during their 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia when he scored a maiden hundred in his second Test at Perth and took eight wickets in Sydney.
Now Stokes is set to compete with the likes of Chris Jordan and Chris Woakes, who didn`t feature in the Sri Lanka series, for a place in the England side for what will be the first of a potentially gruelling five Tests in just 42 days against India.
Alastair Cook, despite a barrage of criticism over his tactics during Sri Lanka 100-run second Test win at Headingley last week and concerns over his own form, retained the England captaincy.
Alastair Cook (Essex, capt), Sam Robson (Middlesex), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Matt Prior (Sussex, wkt), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city