England`s oldest Test player Reg Simpson dies
London: The oldest surviving player to have played in an England Test match, Reg Simpson, has died at the age of 93, his former county Nottinghamshire announced on Wednesday.
Simpson made 27 Test appearances for England, the highlight of which was an unbeaten 156 against Australia in Melbourne in the final Test of the 1950-51 Ashes series.
"Reg Simpson was an elegant opening batsman who served his country with distinction both as a pilot in the Second World War and a fearless player of fast bowling," said England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive David Collier.
"His 156 in Melbourne led England to our first post-War Test victory in Australia and Reg succeeded Sir Alec Bedser as England`s most senior player in 2010.
"He held a deep passion for the game and his beloved Trent Bridge. On behalf of everyone at ECB we extend our deepest sympathy to Reg`s family."
Simpson also played in 495 first-class matches, amassing 30,546 runs, and served on the Nottinghamshire committee for 37 years after retiring.
"He was an excellent talent and would undoubtedly have achieved even more in the game if his career had not been put on hold for the outbreak of war in 1939," said Nottinghamshire chairman Peter Wright.
"His achievements outside his playing career, firstly during the war as a pilot, and later as a managing director of (sports equipment company) Gunn and Moore will always be remembered."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview