‘England’s top T20 guns failing to clinch IPL deals due to involvement with national side,’ says Dhoni
London: England`s top T20 players are struggling to win IPL contracts due to their involvement with the national side, Indian skipper MS Dhoni has said.
Dhoni says that the Three Lions’ players would have to put in a display worthy of Kevin Pietersen, if they want to be snapped up by an IPL franchise. “Most of the time when the IPL happens, I don``t think the English team has a clear period.
They`re not available for the full 45 to 50 days of cricket, so that`s a big concern when it comes to some of the IPL franchises,” the Daily Mirror quoted Dhoni, as saying.
According to the report, a double header of international T20 matches in India is the perfect shop window for the likes of Jos Buttler and Jonny Bairstow to hawk their cricketing skills.
However, with their time available to play in the megabucks tournament limited by the English season, they need to be extra special to be gambled on.
“Kevin Pietersen is a really different batsman, who can be really aggressive, and the grounds are not big enough in India. If he`s available for half-a-season, the sides can still gamble that he can play seven or eight games at least,” said Dhoni.
“He`s a special player. But you have to be that special for a franchise to think ``let`s bank on this player``, and he`s only available for a few games,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH