English county cricket to see Australian influx this season
Sydney: England`s County Championship cricket will have an Australian influence this season after 18 of the total 28 overseas players announced by the county sides, arriving for stints of varying length, are from Down Under.
County cricket this season will see the likes of Dirk Nannes, Shaun Tait, Ricky Ponting, Simon Katich and Ed Cowan among the 18 arrivals.
Nannes and Tait, who are considered as short-term specialists, have been signed at Glamorgan and Essex respectively with a view towards the Friends Life T20 competition started by the England Cricket Board at 2010.
Ponting is due for a high-profile period at Surrey, Katich at Lancashire, while players Steve Magoffin and Michael Klinger have been signed at Sussex and Gloucestershire respectively.
Opener Ed Cowan , who was a relative latecomer to Test cricket will start the season practising and playing at as Nottinghamshire`s overseas professional and looks to be the principal beneficiary of county cricket`s Australian obsession.
Dismissing concerns over whether or not the presence of so many Australians in the county game this year will provide the opposition with an Ashes boost, Nottinghamshire director of cricket Mick Newell admitted that he cannot afford to think along those lines while finalising the deal.
Newell further said that he has nothing to apologise for as he believes that he has picked out the right players to play for his team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi