English cricketer jailed over spot-fixing scam
London: An English cricketer who claimed to have been lured into a spot-fixing scandal by Pakistan international Danish Kaneria was on Friday jailed for four months.
Former Essex player Mervyn Westfield had admitted receiving ?6,000 (USD 9,200) to bowl badly so that 12 runs would be scored in the first over of a 40-over match between Durham and Essex in September 2009.
Westfield was ordered to serve half the four-month term behind bars while he was also hit with a confiscation order for Euro 6,000 during today`s sentencing hearing at the Old Bailey.
Prosecutors had earlier told the court that Westfield, 23, became embroiled in the scam after an approach by Kaneria.
Prosecutor Nigel Peters QC said the deal emerged after another Essex player, Tony Palladino, showed Westfield "the most money he had ever seen".
Kaneria was arrested in connection with the case in 2010 but later released without charge. Before Friday`s hearing, the identity of the player who had made the initial approach to Westfield had not been disclosed.
Speaking in Karachi, Kaneria`s lawyer Farogh Naseem dismissed Westfield`s claims. "It is Westfield`s words against Kaneria and a lot will depend on what evidences he puts before the court against my client," said Naseem.
Naseem reiterated that Kaneria had not been charged by the police.
"At the time of the police inquiry, Kaneria was not charged and cleared. The ICC (International Cricket Council) cleared him so we feel that Kaneria was discharged in the case," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Sensex shows traction, up 117 on monsoon update, strong Q4
- High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial run, to be introduced on Delhi-Mumbai route
- Want to improve your sex life? Ditch tampons for menstrual cups!
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief