English cricketers visit underprivileged school children
Kolkata: The touring English cricketers today gave some 200-odd underprivileged school children a day to remember as they spent about two hours playing, singing and having loads of fun at the south Kolkata campus here.
12-year-old Rohan Thomas captained his side with the opponent`s team featuring star player Kevin Pietersen even as the former`s wicketkeeper got a special gift -- a wrist band -- from England glovesman Matt Prior.
"What a humbling experience at the Future Hope School in Kolkata. Amazing kids and amazing place giving underprivileged kids a chance!" tweeted Prior as he posted photos of him working out and playing chess at the school.
All eyes were in the Bhowanipore-located school as traffic came to a standstill when the cricketers checked in around 1pm.
"It`s a lifetime opportunity for me. We are meeting them for the second time and we struck the right chord soon after they came in. We had lots of fun playing cricket, and even beat my favourite cricketer KP!," Thomas said, showing off the wrist band given by Prior.
Rakhi Adhikari had a different experience as she wielded the hockey stick with the cricketers on the school terrace.
"Not sure they play the same hockey rules here?! Plenty of flying hockey sticks," Prior later tweeted.
The 14-year-old girl collected as many as six autographs.
"I really cannot forget this day," she said showing off her scribbling pad.
Besides cricket and hockey, the English cricketers also played chess, flexed muscles at the gymnasium and sang rhymes with the children. Captain Alastair Cook unveiled the plaque for an upcoming Future Hope Cricket Academy at the entrance of the school.
Managing trustee of Future Hope, Tim Grandage, said the players shared some experiences and gave tips to the boys.
"It was a fine experience with the kid. We hope to bring an academy and develop the boys` skills. Cricket is a religion in India and is the most competitive sport. I`m sure the boys had a fine experience," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly