Ex-captain Bacher hails Smith’s team as best in Proteas Test history
Johannesburg: Former South Africa captain Ali Bacher has claimed current Proteas Test team under Graeme Smith is the best in their history.
The Proteas made history with their 1-0 series win against Australia on Monday, becoming the first South African side to win two consecutive Test series against Australia on Australian soil and retaining top spot in the ICC Test Championship.
South Africa further cemented their place in South Africa`s annals by being the only Test side to win two consecutive away-series against both England and Australia.
Coincidentally, their victorious tours to both countries were in 2008 and 2012.
“It is unprecedented in South African cricketing history that a team has won two consecutive tours in both Australia and England,” Sports24 quoted Bacher, as saying.
“It is because of this that surely they must be considered the most successful South African cricket team of all time,” he added.
South Africa first played Australia away from home in 1910/11 and lost the Test series 4-1, and it took them a further eight tours before they recorded their first series win in 2008, defeating the hosts 2-1.
The South Africans fared better against England in the early days, having won the Test series 1-0 in England in both 1935 and 1965.
In July and August this year, they beat England 2-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch