Ex-captain Bacher hails Smith’s team as best in Proteas Test history
Johannesburg: Former South Africa captain Ali Bacher has claimed current Proteas Test team under Graeme Smith is the best in their history.
The Proteas made history with their 1-0 series win against Australia on Monday, becoming the first South African side to win two consecutive Test series against Australia on Australian soil and retaining top spot in the ICC Test Championship.
South Africa further cemented their place in South Africa`s annals by being the only Test side to win two consecutive away-series against both England and Australia.
Coincidentally, their victorious tours to both countries were in 2008 and 2012.
“It is unprecedented in South African cricketing history that a team has won two consecutive tours in both Australia and England,” Sports24 quoted Bacher, as saying.
“It is because of this that surely they must be considered the most successful South African cricket team of all time,” he added.
South Africa first played Australia away from home in 1910/11 and lost the Test series 4-1, and it took them a further eight tours before they recorded their first series win in 2008, defeating the hosts 2-1.
The South Africans fared better against England in the early days, having won the Test series 1-0 in England in both 1935 and 1965.
In July and August this year, they beat England 2-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA