Ex-Oz paceman Gary Gilmour passes away at 62
Sydney: Former Australian paceman Gary Gilmour has passed away at the age of 62 after a long battle with ill health.
Gilmour, who was a left arm swing bowler and hard-hitting lower order batsman that had been at his peak during the mid `70s`, had scored 483 runs at 23 in 15 Tests including a century and claimed 54 wickets at 26.
According to News.com.au, the fast bowler had also played five ODIs for Australia and had been immortalized in the 1978 World Series Cricket anthem `C`mon Aussie C`mon` with the line `Gilmour`s wielding willow like an axe`.
Gilmour`s former NSW captain and Australian teammate Doug Walters said that they have lost a good one, describing the departed paceman as a supremely talented cricketer.
Gilmour`s career never reportedly reached those heights, compared to the great Australian all-rounder Alan Davidson, given his lighter approach to cricket and training during an increasingly professional era.
Gilmour scored 122 on debut for NSW in January 1972, which remained his highest score in 75 first-class matches, and two years later made 52 and took 4 for 75 on his Test debut against New Zealand.
Gilmour, who recently had been admitted to Sydney`s Royal Prince Alfred hospital requiring another liver transplant, had suffered from liver problems in his later life with his former captain Ian Chappell having lead a fundraising drive for a liver transplant in 2005, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!