Ex-Oz quick Hogg says Sri Lanka’s ‘new ball’ attack worst ever to tour Down Under
Sydney: Former Australia fast bowler Rodney Hogg has claimed Sri Lanka’s fast bowling attack is the worst to tour Down Under ever. The sixth-ranked visitors will enter Friday``s first Test in Hobart with the world``s leading spinner, Rangana Herath, and run-scoring maestros Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene in their line-up but their seaming stocks are unquestionably their Achilles heels. The three Sri Lankan fast bowlers to feature at Bellerive Oval, Nuwan Kulasekara, Shaminda Eranga and Chanaka Welegedara have only 38 Tests and fewer than 100 wickets between them.
None of Sri Lanka``s five quicks on tour, with the others being Dhammika Prasad and Nuwan Pradeep, have played 20 Tests and none average under 30 for a wicket. “Sri Lanka have the worst new ball attack that has landed on our shores ever,” the Age quoted Hogg’s tweet, as saying on Wednesday. The 61-year-old veteran of 38 Tests later said he believed the Sri Lankan pace contingent to be of even lower quality than the touring Zimbabwe side of 2003-04.
“I had a look at the stats. No [fast] bowler has got 50 Test wickets. Kulasekara looks like he``d be a good third bowler and I``ve gone through all their other fast and fast-medium bowlers and they``re all terrible. It``s got to be pretty close to the worst attack, doesn``t it?” Hogg said. “Zimbabwe had Heath Streak and he had over 150 Test wickets. They at least had a frontline fast bowler.
This mob hasn``t got a No. 1 bowler. They haven``t got a No. 2 bowler,” he added. “Obviously these blokes have bowled on subcontinent wickets, so I``m being a bit harsh. But their stats don``t stack up. We``re trying to sort out what our top order is; this attack is not going to sort out our top order,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly