Ex-Oz selector backs Hughes, Lyon to play crucial roles during Ashes
Sydney: Former Australian national selector Jamie Cox has claimed batsman Phil Hughes and off spinner Nathan Lyon will fill key roles during this year`s Ashes despite turbulent rides in team`s 4-0 humiliation against India in the subcontinent.
Off-spinner Lyon was inexplicably axed for the innings and 135-run second Test loss in Hyderabad in one of the great selection blunders of all time, and the offie hit back with a career-best nine wicket haul in the final Delhi Test to finish Australia`s most successful bowler of the series with 15.
Hughes was threatened with the axe but the suspensions of Shane Watson and Usman Khawaja for the third Test in Mohali triggered a mini resurgence from the left-hander.
Cox said Hughes has been coming in against spin in Indian conditions, which he wouldn`t have seen much of, adding he is only a little bloke and a left-handed batsman so there is already a pile of rough under his nose.
Cox believes Hughes will thrive in the key No. 3 slot against England in a return to the conditions that saw him thrive and rebuild his career with Worcestershire last year.
The decision to recall left-arm spinner Xavier Doherty and introduce all rounder Glenn Maxwell ahead of Lyon stumped most observers including Cox.
Lyon stunned India with a first-innings 7/94 in the fourth Test, eclipsing his previous best 5/34 on debut against Sri Lanka at Galle two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation