Ex Pak bowler Ahmed says Cheema would have been better option during Galle Test
Islamabad: Former Pakistan off spinner Tauseef Ahmed has slammed a decision to play out of form Junaid Khan over Aizaz Cheema during their humiliating 209-run defeat to Sri Lanka in the first Test at Galle.
Ahmed who represented Pakistan on 104 occasions expressed his displeasure at the way in which the Pakistani batsmen surrendered to a relatively inexperienced bowling attack from Sri Lanka.
Pakistan again relied heavily on Saeed Ajmal, who bowled with a lot of heart but received little support from others.
“For Pakistan it is important that they have a pace attack that can trouble the batsmen,”Ahmed said.
But, Tauseef’s main criticism was reserved for the young left arm pacer, Junaid Khan.
“Junaid to me didn`t appear in any sort of form. I think he may have made some changes to his bowling but clearly something was not right.”
Junaid Khan was picked ahead of Cheema who played in the last test win against England, and Ahmed felt it was the wrong decision.
“At a time like this I think Cheema would have been a better option,” Ahmed said.
Past Pakistani squads have been notorious for their fiery pace attack, yet Ahmed was unimpressed by the quality of pace bowling on show for Pakistan at Galle.
“I think our bowlers were bowling in the 130 range while the Sri Lankans had some bowlers cross the 140+ mark. Plus on top of that, they Sri Lanka bowled on the stumps which makes life difficult for any batsman,” Ahmed said.
“Whichever bowler plays for Pakistan, it is important that they keep their line on the stumps. All in all, on these conditions I think Cheema would have been better option,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore