Ex Pak bowler Ahmed says Cheema would have been better option during Galle Test
Islamabad: Former Pakistan off spinner Tauseef Ahmed has slammed a decision to play out of form Junaid Khan over Aizaz Cheema during their humiliating 209-run defeat to Sri Lanka in the first Test at Galle.
Ahmed who represented Pakistan on 104 occasions expressed his displeasure at the way in which the Pakistani batsmen surrendered to a relatively inexperienced bowling attack from Sri Lanka.
Pakistan again relied heavily on Saeed Ajmal, who bowled with a lot of heart but received little support from others.
“For Pakistan it is important that they have a pace attack that can trouble the batsmen,”Ahmed said.
But, Tauseef’s main criticism was reserved for the young left arm pacer, Junaid Khan.
“Junaid to me didn`t appear in any sort of form. I think he may have made some changes to his bowling but clearly something was not right.”
Junaid Khan was picked ahead of Cheema who played in the last test win against England, and Ahmed felt it was the wrong decision.
“At a time like this I think Cheema would have been a better option,” Ahmed said.
Past Pakistani squads have been notorious for their fiery pace attack, yet Ahmed was unimpressed by the quality of pace bowling on show for Pakistan at Galle.
“I think our bowlers were bowling in the 130 range while the Sri Lankans had some bowlers cross the 140+ mark. Plus on top of that, they Sri Lanka bowled on the stumps which makes life difficult for any batsman,” Ahmed said.
“Whichever bowler plays for Pakistan, it is important that they keep their line on the stumps. All in all, on these conditions I think Cheema would have been better option,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings