Ex-PCB chief backs Waqar for Australian bowling coach post
Karachi : Former chief of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Ijaz Butt has backed Waqar Younis for the post of Australia`s bowling coach, terming him the best candidate for the job.
Waqar, who is based in Sydney, was interviewed for the post after the sudden resignation of former Australia paceman Craig McDermott, reports said.
The former Pakistan captain had a decent stint as the bowling and head coach of the Pakistan team before he announced his resignation last year, due to ``personal and health reasons``.
His willingness to take up the Australian job in a few months time has raised eyebrows, but Butt, who was the board`s chief during Waqar`s tenure, denied there was more to the story.
"He wasn`t well when he quit. He did not fake illness and was advised a proper rest. It`s very good to see him fit again and back in contention for the coaching role," Butt said.
"I wish him luck for his endeavour. Hopefully, he will get the job. I am confident Australian bowlers will benefit from him as he is very talented and hardworking coach."
His appointment in Australia will also be an honour for Pakistan," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted