Ex-PCB chief backs Waqar for Australian bowling coach post
Karachi : Former chief of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Ijaz Butt has backed Waqar Younis for the post of Australia`s bowling coach, terming him the best candidate for the job.
Waqar, who is based in Sydney, was interviewed for the post after the sudden resignation of former Australia paceman Craig McDermott, reports said.
The former Pakistan captain had a decent stint as the bowling and head coach of the Pakistan team before he announced his resignation last year, due to ``personal and health reasons``.
His willingness to take up the Australian job in a few months time has raised eyebrows, but Butt, who was the board`s chief during Waqar`s tenure, denied there was more to the story.
"He wasn`t well when he quit. He did not fake illness and was advised a proper rest. It`s very good to see him fit again and back in contention for the coaching role," Butt said.
"I wish him luck for his endeavour. Hopefully, he will get the job. I am confident Australian bowlers will benefit from him as he is very talented and hardworking coach."
His appointment in Australia will also be an honour for Pakistan," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt