Ex-umpire advises upcoming players to know cricket rules
Mumbai:Former international umpire Bomi Jamula on Tuesday advised up and coming cricketers to learn about the laws of the game as lack of such a knowledge has exposed some top players.
"You are all good either in batting or bowling, but it is imperative that you know a fair bit about the laws of the game. Lack of knowledge of the laws of the game and playing conditions has exposed many famous players," said the 60-year- old official after inaugurating the 28th Sportstar Trophy under 19 cricket tournament here.
"There is always an opportunity for you to talk to the umpires about the laws and clear all doubts," added Jamula.
Rains over the weekend and yesterday ruined a prompt start to the first round league matches of the tourney conducted by MCA as its trials to pick the Mumbai team for the upcoming Cricket Board-organised age group tournaments.
Jamula told the members of the four teams at the inauguration that there was no place for "dissent" in Tuesday’s game.
"A batsman cannot gesture or show the bat when he receives a poor decision. Similarly, a bowler too may be aggrieved, but they have to get on with the game without show of dissent. There are people watching the performance of the umpires too. Multiple offences can lead to a ban."
Touching upon their selection in the four teams, he said, "There are thousands of boys playing cricket in Mumbai of your age. The selectors have seen talent in you and that is why you have been selected. Now performance is in your hands and to take your game to the next level like playing in the Ranji Trophy. So make the most of it in this tournament."
He presented a bouquet, a cricket shirt and cap to each player at the launch of the event at Dilip Vengsarkar Academy Ground.
The first round matches would resume on Thursday, after Wednesday`s break because of the grand immersion of Ganpati idols.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption