Expecting miracles from Ganguly is a tough ask: Rhodes
Mumbai: Mumbai Indians` fielding coach Jonty Rhodes says expecting Sourav Ganguly to make a difference to the floundering campaign of Pune Warriors is asking for too much.
He, however, added that if Ganguly is successful in instilling confidence in the Yuvraj Singh-led side, they would be a difficult team to handle.
"It`s all played in the field. You can talk to players as much as you want. I think Gary (Kirsten) did it well for India but he had a three-year plan. So to bring Ganguly now and to expect him to make a big difference on and off the field is a big ask," the former South African batsman told reporters ahead of Mumbai`s clash against Pune at the D Y Patil stadium.
"It`s obviously a step which they believe is in the right direction. He is a player with great experience and knowledge about the game. And also someone who the young Indian players look upto. Sure he was one of the most successful Indian captain, he didn`t win the World Cup but his Test record was brilliant.
"You want your local players to perform well. We have (Ambati) Rayudu, Satish, Munaf, Harbhajan. Our local players are playing good cricket. That is what Yuvraj is hoping that Ganguly comes and does. It`s not about international players. It`s about the positive energy they bring into play."
"They were a dangerous team before he came and if he is able to bring in more confidence, they will become a team that will be pretty difficult to handle," he added.
Rhodes said though Pune Warriors are on a losing spree, Sachin Tendulkar`s team will not take them lightly as things can change pretty quickly in T20 cricket.
"They won their first two matches at home. They are a side we are playing on their home turf. I`m sure they will be talking about how well they have played in their backyard in the past. We know they have got some good players in their side. One knock from Yuvraj can put them back into (contention).
"I think that is where we are fortunate in having a guy like Sachin Tendulkar. He is not only a icon in India by reputation but by performance as well. All it takes is one knock from Yuvraj."
"We are expecting a tough game. In 20 overs one person can change the game in five overs and win the game for any side. We are looking to do well," he added.
Asked whether Mumbai Indians were aiming to qualify for the play-off by winning their next two games, he said, "We are taking it one step at a time. But our aim is not just to qualify for the play-offs. We want to finish first and want want to finish first in the tournament."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark