Fans honour Hansie Cronje on 44th birth anniversary
Johannesburg: Former South African captain Hansie Cronje, who would have been 44 years old on September 25, if his life had not been taken in a tragic airplane crash in 2002, has been honoured by the nation`s cricket fans.
According to Sport24, despite his history and his role in the match-fixing scandal that rocked the Proteas in 2000, most fans either still regarded him as a hero, or had forgiven him.
Cronje was voted the 11th greatest South African in 2004 despite having been banned for life from professional cricket after an inquiry by the King Commission, the report said.
A fan said that Cronje was the best captain the country ever had and that at least he had manned up to what he did.
Another fan praised the former captain for his field positions, his batting, bowling, and motivation to the team, calling him a legend in cricket.
Cronje was also praised for being the only South African cricketer who hit Shane Warne around for sixes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore