Fans should get ticket refunds for `Ashes heroes-missing` ODI series: Vaughan
Johannesburg: Former England captain Michael Vaughan has said that fans who have bough tickets for the upcoming one-day international series against Australia deserve a refund as England has left most of the Ashes heroes out of the squad.
According to Sport24, captain Alastair Cook, Stuart Broad, Ian Bell, James Anderson and Graeme Swann, who all featured in the recent 3-0 Ashes series win over the tourists, were all left out of the squads for the one-dayer against Ireland and the five-match ODI campaign against Australia.
Similarly, the report said that only seven of Australia`s 18-man ODI squad played in the just concluded iconic series, adding that it is clear that both countries are already looking ahead to the return Ashes series in Australia in November.
Even though star batsman Kevin Pietersen, along with fellow Ashes-winning batsmen Joe Root and Jonathan Trott, have been included in the squad for the Australia series, Vaughan expressed his dissatisfaction with the selection and said on Twitter that only Cook should have been rested and the rest of the players should have been played.
Stating that fans should get a refund for their tickets as they have paid good money to watch their heroes, Vaughan also said it is not the thing to sell tickets and then rest five Ashes stars from the ODI series, adding that there is plenty of time for the players to get rest from Sept 16th - Nov 21st.
According to the report, former Ireland international Eoin Morgan will captain the side in the absence of Cook and Broad, with the squad including five uncapped players in pacemen Chris Jordan and Jamie Overton as well as Morgan`s fellow ex-Ireland star Boyd Rankin.
England and Australia will next meet in a separate two-match Twenty20 series, where the hosts will be captained by Broad and Australia by George Bailey, in fixtures at Southampton and Durham on Thursday and Saturday respectively, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’