Faulkner says picked for Ashes because of `aggressive` temperament
Sydney: Australian fast bowler James Faulkner has said that he was picked in the Ashes squad not only because of his good all-round record at first-class level but also because of his aggressive temperament.
The inclusion of the young, unintimidated Faulkner as one of four quicks alongside spinner Nathan Lyon for the Australians` first game of the tour, against Somerset suggests that the selectors may have decided to pick all five bowlers for the five-Test series to get over a suggested lack of talent.
The approach is an understandable effort in keeping with the aggressive ethos of the new coach Darren Lehmann given the recent mediocrity of the batting.
Stating that his ability to play with a competitive nature gives him the edge to perform well, the left-armer said that although he will continue to play with aggressiveness, he would make sure that he does not cross the line.
According to Faulkner, strutting about on the grounds despite not playing well makes a player look foolish, although he added that good players can puff their chest out and yet play good cricket.
Faulkner, who impressed the selectors with 89 and 46 in the Sheffield Shield final and stood out with 54 not out in his team`s grim ICC Champions Trophy campaign, further said that he feels responsible in any game that he plays at home or as an all-rounder, adding that he remains constantly aware that there would be moments in the game where he would need to step up.
The bowling all-rounder could fill the No.7 position at Trent Bridge with Brad Haddin moving up to six.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday